Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Utter Fail

I just want to take a few moments to make some pattern notes on McCall's 7117. I attempted to make this dress a couple months ago in plain teal cotton. I was aiming for view C in a size 16. It totally failed.

The dress is made in panels and I ended up with two panels too many to fit the bodice. I had the number of panels that the pattern said I should have so I think there is an error in the instructions. I removed two  side panels and that fixed the bodice lining up with the skirt, but the dress was still too big.

I don't mind a bit of positive ease but considering that one of the versions of the dress is strapless it seems like it should have been able to hold up on its own and it would not have done that.

In contrast to the too big body of the dress, the arm holes were way small. They pinched and were uncomfortable.

I didn't take a picture of the dress because I was so annoyed that in a fit of pique I threw it away. Now I'm kicking myself because I probably could have kept fiddling until I got a dress that fit. Oh well. I will probably try to make this dress again because I still think it's super cute, but it will have to be modified.

No comments:

Post a Comment