Monday, August 3, 2015

Block Sock Block

Oh Second Sock Syndrome, why must you torment me so?

I had a goal at the beginning of the year to knit a new pair of socks a month. I did great in January. I made my socks Tea. Early Grey. Hot so named because the Yarn Harlot named the pattern Earl Grey after the sock yarn color, but, of course, the name made me think of Star Trek.


I used Knit Picks Stroll to knit the socks. I liked the color, and the socks are soft and comfy. But. This yarn doesn't have very good recovery. By the end of the day it almost feels like the socks have melted, they just don't stay up well. And it's not just a matter of not enough ribbing holding them up my legs, its like the entire sock just becomes floppy and loose. The rest of my wool socks I can wear for two days before they start to feel loose, and I've done other socks that were mostly stockinette stitch without them feeling so loose. So I'm forced to conclude that it must be the yarn. 

Which is a bummer because in February before I decided that I didn't like the yarn I decided that I had enough of it for one more pair of socks, so I cast on Patchwork Weasley Socks by Erica Lueder. I've knit other of her socks before and I love the patterns. I especially love the Harry Potter based inspiration (are you seeing a nerd theme to by socks? because it's not an accident). The pattern was fun, but knowing that I wasn't going to like the yarn in the finished project made me kind of reluctant to work on them.

That's why it took be from February until mid June to finish this one lowly sock. 


When I'm really working at it I can do a pair of socks in a work week. I feel like I had second sock syndrome with this sock, and it was still the first sock. Now I'm faced with actually knitting the second sock and I don't really want to. But having just one sock does me no good. So I'm making it my goal for the week to make the second sock. And I'm never buying this yarn again.


No comments:

Post a Comment