Monday, September 7, 2015

"Retro" cherry shirt

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love Gertie Hirsch's patterns. I'm just warning you now that the next three posts will all be about her designs. I'm going to start with Butterick 6217 because I modified it the least.

I fell in love with this shirt for the neckline and the sleeves.


Aren't those sleeves awesome?!?

(also, please ignore how filthy my mirror is, there is a bunch of construction going on in the apartment and the plaster dust just keeps reappearing no matter how much I clean)


The only change I made to the pattern was the leave off the big bow thing that went over the front. I feel like my girls are big enough without adding any extra frufru. Also I didn't have enough fabric. That cherry fabric shrank like crazy in the wash, I should have bought an extra 1/4 yd. 

Speaking of, how cute is the cherry fabric? I felt like the shirt had a vaguely retro feel, like most of Gertie's patterns do, so I wanted to play it up with a rockabillyish fabric. 

I will say, there is something a bit funny in the fit of the shirt, but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly or how to fix it. I've been reassured that it looks fine. My mom even said that if she didn't know that you can't buy shirts with cherries on them at the mall she would never have guessed I made the shirt. So I would give this shirt four out of five stars. It's not perfect, but I like it and I will totally wear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment