Friday, May 29, 2015

Project Hiatus and my Burlap Bag

I am just so frustrated right now y'all. I've got so many projects that I want to be working on. I'm a sleeve and a half away from finishing a new cardigan and I've got enough fabric for two new slips, two new tanks, three new skirts and three new button up shirts, two new nightgowns, and a really cute sundress, plus some undies (Jo-Ann's was having a great sale/coupon combo and if my boyfriend asks I saved more than I spent and that's the important part). I've also got the yarn for a third cardigan and a pair of socks, all waiting, eagerly, for me to use them. And I am getting nothing done because I've got an "acute muscle spasm" (according to my doctor) in my neck. All I know is that it hurts like heck unless I'm all doped up on muscle relaxers, and so I've been stuck laying in bed. I am not good at not getting things done.

I mean, I have almost finished reading the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series, so I guess I haven't accomplished /nothing/ but I am still feeling the lack of tangible results for my time spent.

Until today, I couldn't even really catch up here because I couldn't hold my head up long enough to type this. But I am also only one project behind on this blog at the moment, so without further a due and only about a month after I made it I present my sewing bag:


Originally I made this bag because I was taking a sewing class at a local community college. I was considering trying to get into their Apparel Design programme. Unfortunately, I ended up having to drop the class due to a combination of lost paperwork on their end and then work conflicts on my end. So I ended up finishing my lovely bag custom made for holding my class supplies the same week I dropped the class. Oops. 


But it did hold everything perfectly. And I thought the lining fabric was totally darling for a sewing bag. It's still a useful burlap tote and I totally don't regret making it because it allowed me to practise several new things. For example, I got to match the patterns for the pockets on the lining of the bag. I know it's hard to tell in the photo, but there are four small pockets (for bobbins, tailors chalk, embroidery scissors and safety pins on one piece and one larger pockets for my shears and pins/sharpies on the other lining piece. 


This bag was my first time working with burlap too. Holy Moly it likes to pull itself off grain. Cutting the pieces was good practice for cutting fabric on grain and then pulling it all nice and straight. It also taught me to cut the pieces bigger than I needed than trim down once it was straightened because otherwise you might end up with less fabric than you thought you would. 

All in all, I like the bag and even though I don't need it for carrying class supplies it will still be useful for carrying projects, which I'm sure will happen again in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment