Sunday, April 10, 2016

Wedding Dress Frustration

Lest you run away with the idea that I actually know what I am doing, let me tell you about my week.

I used to have a beautiful silk organza petticoat. I put it in the back of my closet to save for my wedding day. Unbeknownst to me the back wall of my closet was growing mold and now so was my petticoat. After a great deal of frustrated cursing and even a few tears I decided to make a new petticoat. A fluffier petticoat. A nylon petticoat. A much, much cheaper petticoat.

Well, now I have learned why people buy petticoats because gathering all of that tulle is a pain in the rear. First, I miscalculated how much tulle I needed and had to go get more. Then I bought the wrong shade of blue because it looked like the color matched in the store but in sunlight it so totally doesn't match. Cutting it into strips wasn't as bad as it could have been thanks to my rotary cutter and mat. But silly me, I thought I could just use my ruffler foot to gather the 213 yds of tulle. Yeah, ruffler feet and tulle do not like each other. So then I thought, fine, I can gather it by hand. I got 1/8 of the way through a 16 yd strip and realized that was not a great plan either.

So, tomorrow I will work on the petticoat some more. I think I'm going to try and work in smaller, more manageable chunks, then put it all together, instead of trying to gather the horribly long strips. If I get it to work I will be sure to share with y'all how I do it.

I feel like I have nothing to show for this weekend, and I'm having to repeatedly remind myself that that isn't true. I made more paper flowers, I addressed all of my invitations (I forgot to buy stamps though) and I got half way through a new wedding garter because upon further consideration the shade of blue for the first one just wasn't right. But it took me three tries to get it joined in the round without twisting.

Yeah. I'm a bit frustrated right now. But tomorrow is a new day, I have a new game plan, things will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment