But this year I just wasn't feeling it. I didn't even start to think about costumes until the week before, and then it was only to think that I wasn't in the mood to make anything. So rather then make anything new I pulled old costumes out of storage and tried to figure out what might still fit.
There is nothing like looking at projects that are around 5 years old to make you realize how much better at sewing you are now.
I ended up wearing an old black dress. It used to have long purple sleeves, but they were too tight. I honestly cannot believe it fit because I weight 40 lbs more than I did when I was in college, so I'm thinking it must have just been huge on me when I first made it. And taking off the sleeves made me realize that 1) I didn't do a great job sewing in a straight line and 2) I had no idea how to attach a lining/finish my seams. The inside of the dress looked horrible.
But the outside looked okay, so I wore it.
It was cold and rainy so I threw this felt cloak on and said I was Queen of the Night.
It took some digging around my facebook page, and the picture isn't great, but I found the night I originally wore the costume in 2010.
You can't see much of the dress because it was really only visible around the hem, the neckline, and the sleeves, but I can tell from the gaping at the neckline that it was way too big for me then. I was so proud of that costume 5 years ago. Now it's making me cringe a bit. I'm glad to see that I have come a long way.